Posted by Foobooz on May 11th, 2007
Has Esquire lost it? A year after they named Grey Lodge and Southwark as two of the best bars in America the magazine has a new list for 2007. And the lone Philadelphia contribution to the list is the Friendly Lodge at 8th and Washington.
Neighborhood bar, 1950s. Dirty and magical. From the outside, it looks vacant. But thatâ€™s the beauty. No burgers here. No mussels. No Abercrombie. No Fitch. Hereâ€™s what they have: ashtrays in front of every stool. Three-dollar Budweisers. Good jukebox. A clogged sink in the bathroom. And a cute salt-of the-earth bartender. Heaven.
Not to get too snobby, but come on, Buds and a clogged sink? We’ll be investigating this weekend.
Friendly Lounge [Yelp]
- Goodtimes At The Friendly Lounge
- The Grey Lodge
- More Top Bar Honors For Philadelphia
- Beer Season
- The Firken, Explained
- Last Friday the Firkinteenth for Fourteen Months
- The Calendar Says It All, Tomorrow’s Friday the Firkenteenth
- What’s The Best Bar In Philadelphia?
- This Friday is Friday the Firkenteenth at Grey Lodge