Posted by Jason Sheehan on April 19th, 2011
Okay, so we get it. Times are friggin’ tough. But first it was the news last week that Tasty Baking Company had been bought (and thereby saved) by Georgia-based Flowers Foods. And now today, word is just getting out that Amoroso’s has given 60-day layoff notices to all the drivers at its Southwest Philadelphia bakery. According to the Inquirer, there is also now a very real fear that Amoroso’s may also be looking to close the bakery at 55th and Baltimore completely, which would move all production out of Philly and into New Jersey.
Amoroso lays off philly drivers; will bakery shut? [Philadelphia Inquirer]
- UPDATE: Amoroso Layoffs Now “A Great Opportunity”
- Amoroso’s Leaving Philadelphia?
- Strike Hits Hoagies Hard
- Greatest Hits and What You Missed: Burgers, Peeps, Donuts and Fork & Barrel Fallout
- Greatest Hits and What You Missed: Pizza, Shola, Hoagies, Dogs and Instant Mashed Potatoes
- Greatest Hits and What You Missed: Vegans, Tastykakes, Whiskey and Flies
- News for People Who Like Bad News: Tasty Baking, Fires & More
- Because Too Much Is Never Enough: Tastykake and Hershey’s, Together At Last
- Could Hostess’ Demise be Tastykake’s Gain?