Posted by Foobooz on October 27th, 2011
Chris Painter and Stephen Starr are finally opening Il Pittore, Painter’s long in the works modern Italian restaurant featuring the specialties of Emilia-Romagna, Tuscany, Piedmont and Sicily. The original opening date was yesterday, but the opening now takes place today.
- Il Pittore takes over Noble’s handsome space at 2025 Sansom Street.
- The changes are mainly cosmetic.
- Designed by Stokes Architecture.
- Seating for 80.
- A dining bar is the most dominant feature of the downstairs space.
- Ideal for dining alone or for a casual dinner of pasta and wine.
- Back wall decorated with dried pasta, tomato sauce and other staples.
- Former bar is now a service bar.
- More light is let in downstairs by using glass dividers.
- Upstairs is white tablecloth dining and a somewhat more formal vibe.
Il Pittore is Italian for Painter
Chef Chris Painter
- Started with Stephen Starr in 1999.
- Opened Tangerine.
- For the last three years Painter has been Starr’s Director of Menu Development.
- Painter traveled throughout Italy in preparation for Il Pittore, drawing inspiration from the diverse array of towns, eateries and markets.
- Menu features the cuisine of Emilia-Romagna, Tuscany, Piedmont and Sicily.
- Menu broken down into antipasti, pasta and mains.
- All pastas are made in-house daily.
- Menu highlights:
- Ricotta with moscato poached pears, rosemary, and black pepper
- Lightly Smoked Cod with saffron baccala, and calamari salad. A
- Malloreddus with blue crab and uni crema,
- Pappardelle with fall-spiced wild boar ragu, rosemary, and parmesan.
- Black Bass with spinach, ruby red shrimp, and spicy soppressata
- Suckling Pig with pear mostarda, roast baby carrots, and cavalo nero;
- Bistecca for Two accompanied by salsa verde, Tuscan bean salad and chestnut honey glazed turnips.
- Master Sommelier Laura Maniec consulted on Il Pittore’s Italian themed wine list.
- 200-bottle wine list.
- 18-20 wines by the glass.
- Italian craft beers including Menabrea’s “Ambrata” and “Bionda” lagers.
- Cocktails include Italian specialties:
- Perol Sour
- Other cocktails will include:
- ‘Godfather’ with Famous Grouse Scotch, Lazzaroni Amaretto
- ‘Pennello’ with Old Overholt Rye Whiskey, Cynar, Dolin de Chambery Vermouth
2025 Sansom St
Open nightly for dinner.
2025 Sansom St, Philadelphia, PA
- Tasting Menu Launches at Il Pittore
- Food Struggles to Justify the Tally at Il Pittore
- Noble Closes, Replaced By Starr’s Il Pittore
- Three Stars for Il Pittore
- Painter and Serpico, Together for One Night at Il Pittore
- Three Bells for Il Pittore
- Tale of the Tape: Serafina
- La Spinetta Wine Dinner at Il Pittore
- Tale of the Tape: Vernick Food & Drink