Posted by Foobooz on December 28th, 2011
- Shine hit liquor store shelves as white whiskey made it back to the mainstream.
- We get very excited about the rotisserie chicken at Rotisseur.
- There are a lot of bad restaurant names out there. We ask you what is the worst.
- The Daily News puts Tastykake up against its new corporate owner.
- Michael Solomonov wins the James Beard Award for Best Chef Mid-Atlantic.
- In May we first reported on the controversy of restaurateurs taking out credit card fees from tips paid to wait staff.
- Less than a week after opening, Spread Bagelry was hit by fire.
- “I think my stomach just committed suicide.” That was one reaction to the Charlie Brown from Jake’s Sandwich Board.
- The counterman at Tony A’s gets one over on Jason Sheehan.
- May saw Harry Ochs booted from the Reading Terminal Market after racking up some impressive debt.
Dish of the Month
Bloody Beet Steak – The Farm and Fisherman
“Take that beet. Served on a cool, white swipe of housemade yogurt, the roasted and smashed root looked bloody indeed, as red and black as a prizefighter’s mug. The crispy, singed skin, peeling back like the petals of a dark Amazon flower. The drops of balsamic, aged and wise. The splatter of intensely savory “pan drippings,” nothing more — and yet much, much more — than stuck-in-the-pan beet bits and shallots, deglazed with sherry vinegar and chicken stock and finished with butter.” Adam Erace, City Paper
Quote of the Month
”But, hey. You got me. You got some sucker to pay good money for a slice that rightly belonged under glass in the Museum Of Bad Ideas In Pizza. Congratulations, champ. You saved the company a few cents in pawning off Methuselah’s leftovers on me. And while sure, I might’ve gotten just what I deserved (being so stupid as to go for the Buffalo chicken pizza in the first place), you really made the lesson stick by reminding me just how bad a bad thing can be. Well played, sir. Well played.” – Jason Sheehan, on the old slice of buffalo chicken pizza he bought at Tony A’s
Related Tags: 2011 In Review