Posted by Foobooz on February 28th, 2012
Pliny the Younger fever is heating up as the rare and highly sought after Russian River beer was delivered to local bars yesterday. City Tap House’s Andy Farrell tweeted a photo of the white whale of the beer world.
The beer is a triple IPA and its late winter release creates a nerdy hysteria across the country. The vast majority of the beer is distributed in California and the Pacific Northwest with some kegs making it to Denver. In past years Philadelphia has been the only East Coast city to receive shipments and it looks like that’s the case this year too (Take that DC, Boston, New York!). Farrell’s already fielded phone calls from Washington DC, Trenton and New Brunswick, New Jersey about his plans for tapping the sixtel.
Who gets to pour the beer is almost as geekily anticipated as who gets to drink it. This marks the first year that City Tap House will have a sixtel and of course Farrell and company are planning an event around the tapping.
UPDATE #7: We’ve moved our coverage to a listing format. Check it out here.
City Tap House will be tapping its sixtel of Pliny the Younger on Monday, March 5th at 6 p.m. tickets will be put on sale at the bar and capped at 65. The $8 ticket will be good for one 8-ounce pour when the beer is tapped at 7 p.m. One ticket per person. The tickets will be a keepsake themselves, kind of like a Willie Wonka style Golden Ticket. City Tap House will also be loading up the taplines for the evening. Expect Russian River’s Damnation on tap and in bottles plus some squirreled away goodies from the likes of Founders.
Besides City Tap House the only other confirmed event we have is at Capone’s in Norristown. This Saturday the bar is tapping the Younger at 10:30 a.m. but as is their normal wont, the bar is turning it into a huge event. Also on tap this Saturday at Capone’s:
- Russian River Pliny the Elder
- Russian River Blind Pig
- Port Brewing Mongo Double Ipa
- Ballast Point Sculpin Ipa
- Moylans Moylander Double Ipa
- Hill Farmstead Edward Ipa
- Ale Werks Bitter Valentine Double Ipa
- Uinta Hop Notch Double Ipa
- Founders Double Trouble Double Ipa
- Bells Two Hearted Ipa
- Half Acre Daisy Cutter
- Clown Shoes Hoppy Feet 1.5 Dipa Limited Anniversary Beer
- Weyerbacher Uniform Double Rye/Wheat Ipa
- Victory Ranch R Double Ipa Uses Centennial Whole Flower Hops
- Victory Eclat Chocolate Nitrogen Stout
- Dock Street Prince Myskins Russian Imperial Stout
- Lost Abbey Judgment Day “Quad”
- Allagash Curiex “A Tripel Aged in Bourbon Barrels”
- Grimmbergen Dubbel
- Bocker Cuvee De Jacobinsens “A Flanders Sour”
- Cottrell Perry’s Revenge
- Dogfish Head Namstae
- Lancaster Double Chocolate Milk Stout
- Stoudts Fest Bier House Lager
- Lagunitas Cappucinno Stout
- North Coast Old Rasputin “On Nitrogen”
- Southampton Double White
- Fruli “A Strawberry Beer from Belgium”
Quite the list there for Capone’s.
As for where else Pliny the Younger was delivered, we can also confirm Resurrection Ale House, Local 44 and Memphis Taproom all received sixtels yesterday. No dates for tappings have been released yet. Local 44 and Resurrection have always done a nice job of making the beer available to regulars in a chill environment. Memphis Taproom is doing something different than they have in past years but you’ll have to wait for that announcement.
Philly Tap Finder is also confirming that Eulogy and Grey Lodge have the beer.
Bookmark this page as we’ll be updating it as we get more confirmations of events.
Update #1: Well that didn’t take long. Monk’s Cafe has announced their fundraising Pliny plans for Monday, March 5th.
Update #2: Just as most people were figuring out Russian River’s Pliny the Younger was in town, Grey Lodge in Mayfair was already pouring it. The beer went on tap at 8 p.m. Tuesday night.
Update #3: Resurrection Ale House provides a civil way to drink Pliny the Younger. The first fifty people that replied to today’s email newsletter are allowed in a half-hour early on Tuesday, March 6th. After the first fifty get their fill, the doors will be open the masses will have to settle for the Consecration, Supplication, Damnation, Pliny the Elder and Blind Pig they’ll be pouring all day long.
Update #4: Philly Tap Finder has added to its posts, confirming the existence of the elixer at Sidecar (Friday, March 9 at 3pm), Khyber Pass Pub (Wednesday, March 28), South Philadelphia Taproom, Good Dog and Jose Pistola’s.
Update #5: Pinochio’s in Media tapped Pliny the Younger at 10:30 today, February 29th. Grey Lodge and Teresa’s Next Door tapped and kicked their allotment last night.
Update #6: TJ’s in Paoli kicked their keg late yesterday afternoon.
Update #7: We’ve moved our coverage to a listing format. Check it out here.
Photo by Ryan Lavine
- The 2013 Pliny the Younger Calendar for Philadelphia
- Plenty of Pliny
- We’re Getting Younger, But How Much?
- The Pliny Calendar
- Pliny The Elder and Much More on Tap Today
- Local 44′s Bottle Shop Opens Monday, More Pliny to be Tapped
- Pliny the Younger at Monk’s Will Raise Cash for Alex’s Lemonade Stand
- Going Great Taps
- Russian River Mini Pop-Up Today