Posted by Foobooz on April 24th, 2012
Rittenhouse Tavern is now open in the historic Philadelphia Art Alliance building with Le Bec-Fin alum Nicholas Elmi in the kitchen. The contemporary American restaurant aims to be the destination spot such a fine building deserves.
Rittenhouse Tavern: The Space
- Located in the historic Wetherill Mansion, now home of the Art Alliance of Philadelphia.
- Four distinctive areas make up Rittenhouse Tavern:
- main dining room
- outdoor garden
- Designed by Elisabeth Knapp, Elisabeth Knapp Architect.
- Knapp has also designed Zahav, Xochitl and Percy Street Barbecue.
- Space keeps classic tones and elegance.
- Original 1920s mural created by artist Richard Blossom Farley, depicting a flock of geese and other birds wraps around the main dining area.
- Bar and lounge rooms anchored by marble fireplace
- Garden tucked away from 18th Street
- Surrendouded by greenery and potted fresh herbs for the chef’s “secret” garden
- 100 seats in total.
Rittenhouse Tavern Food
- Nicholas Elmi, Executive Chef
- Was most recently at Le Bec-Fin
- Has also worked at Brasserie Perrier as well as Lutècec, Union Pacific and Oceana in New York
- Ed Brown, Senior Vice President at Restaurant Associates
- Also is chef/owner of Ed’s Chowder House in New York City
- Dinner is served Tuesday through Sunday (Lunch and Brunch to come).
- Menu highlights include:
- Deviled Eggs with pork scrapple
- New Jersey Striped Bass with Tuscan kale, mushrooms and hibiscus-red wine
- RT Burger, La Frieda dry aged blend, Yard’s ESA roll,Ed’s special sauce, sharp provolone, watercress
- Rack of Berkshire Pork with crisp belly, purple mustard, quinoa crust, endive
- Blueberry Red Wine Soup with thyme, lemon-sage ice cream
- Prices range from $15 to $29 for entrees
- Sunday night a family style whole fried amish chicken with buttermilk biscuits and daily side is available for $18 per person.
- Rittenhouse Tavern Dinner Menu (PDF)
Rittenhouse Tavern Drink
- Sixteen beers by the bottle, including local beers both well known and below the radar.
- 30 bottle wine list with 20 available by the glass.
- Specialty Cocktail List:
- Garden Sazerac with Bulleit Rye, Vieux Carré Absinthe and bitters
- Paloma Fizz with Sauza Tequila, pink grapefruit and housemade lemon-lime soda
- Price Range:
- Beer ranges from $4 to $6
- Cocktails cost between $9 and $13
- Wine by the glass ranges between $7 and $19
- Wine by the bottle: $29 to $89
- Rittenhouse Tavern Drink Menu (PDF)
251 South 18th Street, Philadelphia, PA
- Le Bec’s Nick Elmi Lands at Upcoming Rittenhouse Tavern
- Nick Elmi Brings Life to Rittenhouse Tavern
- Rittenhouse Tavern Starts Weekend Brunch
- The Prettiest Thing We Ate This Weekend
- Good Stuff and a Slip-Up at Rittenhouse Tavern
- Nick Elmi and Rittenhouse Tavern Get Three Bells from Craig LaBan
- Firkin Friday Happy Hour at Rittenhouse Tavern
- A.Kitchen Opens Tonight
- Tale of the Tape: Vernick Food & Drink