Posted by Foobooz on May 7th, 2012
Craig LaBan declares that chef Tim Spinner is owning it, making a statement of his own when it comes to his Mexican food at La Calaca Feliz.
Spinner’s latest inspirations, though, mostly caught my eye with striking, and often unexpected, pairings. Huge Barnegat Bay scallops, seared with one side clinging to a crispy round of salty queso, had the perfect sweetness to echo the spring delicacy of white asparagus soup that had been pureed into ivory silk. Cubes of melon, meanwhile, compressed and infused inside a vacuum bag with La Calaca’s Garcia margarita (with Espalon reposado), had a distinctive firmness and fiesta flavor that further heightened the already fruity character of pristine diced raw tuna, a creamy green scoop of avocado sorbet melting richness into the mix.
Three Bells – Excellent
Photo by Courtney Apple
La Calaca Feliz
2321 Fairmount Avenue, Philadelphia, PA
- Watermelon Gazpacho at La Calaca Feliz and Cantina Feliz
- Tasting Menus at Cantina & La Calaca Feliz
- La Calaca Feliz Is Working for Fairmount
- Ilegal Mezcal Tasting Menu Now Available at La Calaca Feliz
- La Calaca Feliz Gets an Opening Date
- It’s National Margarita Day and Prices Range from Free to $50
- Get Happy Manayunk, Taqueria Feliz Is Coming
- La Calaca Feliz Sues Ambler’s Taco Feliz for Trademark Infringement
- La Calaca Feliz Takes Over Illuminaire Space in Fairmount