Posted by Foobooz on May 11th, 2012
Adam Erace embraces the gastropub food with Italian twists at Alla Spina where he finds Chef Damon Menapace and the rest of Marc Vetri’s team is clicking.
Smothered with the promised Bolognese (made with guinea hen), that poutine would make even the most traditional Quebec lumberjack’s knees buckle, and Vetri was not kidding about the fries. Cutting the canola fryer oil with rendered beef fat (a la the Dandelion) gave the golden-brown batons a round, satisfying meatiness. It’s a heart-stopping quartet, this amalgam of potatoes, gravy, cheese and tallow, but Alla Spina shows mercy with its sensible portions and newer section of vegetables, “overlooked at the beginning,” according to Menapace and born of Vetri’s dissatisfaction with the early menu’s kale salad.
Alla Board [City Paper]
Alla Spina [Official Site]
600 N Broad St, Philadelphia, PA
- Pig in a Pub: Trey Popp Reviews Alla Spina
- Alla Spina Progressing
- Three Bells for Alla Spina
- Alla Spina Is Now Open
- Alla Spina Will Make a Man Out of You
- Victory Novello at Marc Vetri’s Alla Spina
- Schoolly D DJing at Alla Spina This Thursday
- Stay Home for the Holidays at Alla Spina
- Alla Spina Preview Dinner