Posted by Aubrey Nagle on September 12th, 2012
The Michael Samschick proposal for Canal Street North, an entertainment center planned for Fishtown that we described yesterday, was approved by the Fistown Neighbors Association last night. According FNA’s live tweets of the public meeting the project was supported 72-17.
What we now know from last night’s meeting is that the music venue will be a Fillmore Theater run by Live Nation and that parts of Canal Street will be turned into a pedestrian plaza with outdoor dining. We also have it on good authority that the distillery set for Canal Street North will be ….
Philadelphia Distilling. Makers of Bluecoat Gin, Shine White Whiskey, and Penn 1681, this local company will be part of this new project. There will be a tasting room for the distillery and a barrel warehouse for whiskey aging.
Neighbors worried a lack of parking for the spaces (the lots Samschick owns only hold 337 vehicles and 66 bikes), security, and a LED billboard sign for the former Ajax building. Despite these concerns, the neighborhood majority is supportive so Samschick will move on to meetings with the City Planning Commission.
Unfortunately we do not have any details on the country western bar set for the dry ice warehouse on Canal Street. We apologize as we know you are all looking forward to it.
Canal Street North
Frankford Avenue and Canal Street, Philadelphia, PA
- Music Venue, Restaurants, Bowling Alley, and Distillery Proposed for Fishtown
- Neighborhood Meeting for Starr’s Beer Garden
- Dad’s Hat Introduces Its Rye Whiskey and Distillery Tours
- Fergie Part of Group Bringing Bar/Restaurant/Theater to Delaware River
- Early Warning: 5th Annual RiverCity Festival
- Beer Garden for Delaware Avenue
- Fishtown Comes Out Against Massive Club
- It’s About Time: XXX Shine Hits the Bottle
- Lloyd Opening Tonight for Limited Hours and Reduced Prices