Posted by Foobooz on September 12th, 2012
Chefs and friends, Michael Dorris and Michael Santoro are opening The Mildred this evening in Bella Vista. The restaurant will showcase seasonal American cuisine with influences from the pair’s experience in Europe. Santoro will handle the kitchen and Dorris the front of the house. Both are committed to creating a fun and inviting restaurant that welcomes the neighborhood.
The Team at The Mildred
- Michael Santoro
- Executive Chef
- Experience at:
- Chef Heston Blumenthal’s Fat Duck (England)
- Luis Aduriz’s Mugaritz (Spain)
- Blue Duck Tavern in Washington D.C.
- Talula’s Garden in Philadelphia
- Michael Dorris
- Experience at:
- The Waterside Inn (England)
- Michael Dorris Catering
The Mildred Space
- Patrons familiar with James will recognize the interior.
- The pitched roof remains in the bar area as does the fireplace and bar.
- However the entrance has been moved and some walls altered, providing a more inviting entrance into the space.
- Wood accents highlight the space:
- Fir wood tabletops
- Bamboo floors
- Oak bar top and shelving
- Reclaimed barn wood floors (many of which were produced by Challenge Program, a local educational millwork and carpentry center.)
- 22-seats and a 24-seat lounge area.
- Wood-burning fireplace.
- 150-bottle wine cellar.
- Private dining room seats 22.
The Food at The Mildred
- Roasted dishes are served in cast iron vessels
- Plates are handmade by Dorris’ high school ceramic teacher.
- Dinner Highlights:
- Hand-Spun Chitarra with cockles, bacon and beer
- Sheep’s Milk Ricotta Gnudi with crispy kale, parmesan crème and mushroom sauce
- Bratwurst with charred onions, grapes and lovage
- Braised Cod Wrapped in Swiss Chard with melted leeks and crispy veal
- Baked Barley with dates, Brussels sprouts and hazelnuts.
- For dessert, Chocolate Stout Cake with Bailey’s ice cream and Guinness chocolate sauce, as well as Plum Clafoutis with Mirabelle sorbet provide a sweet finish
- Bar Menu Highlights:
- House-Made Ricotta with honey and pistachio
- Sardines on Toast with “peppers and onions”
- TheMildred Pot Pie with escargot
- Suckling Pig Croquettes with fig puree are dishes to be featured exclusively at the bar.
- Seasonal tasting menu will be offered at an eight-seat Chef’s table.
- The Dinner Menu at The Mildred (PDF)
- Six beers on tap will rotate seasonally.
- Classic cocktail list.
- 60-bottle wine list showcasing Northern France and Northern Spain.
- 10-by-the-glass options.
The Mildred Hours
Dinner: Tuesday through Thursday
5:30PM-10:30PM Friday through Saturday
5:30PM-11PM Sunday, from 5:30PM to 10:30PM.
Brunch: Service to follow about a month out.
824 S 8th Street (Bella Vista)
825 S. 8th Street, Philadelphia, PA
- More Details on Mike Santoro’s The Mildred
- The Mildred Filled with Potential
- Two Bells for The Mildred
- The Mildred Starts Weekend Brunch
- Mildred Now Offering Prix Fixe Sundays with This Oven Roasted Quail
- About Last Night: The Mildred
- Enamel and Iron Star Alongside Michael Santoro’s Cooking at the Mildred
- Food to Keep the Neighbors Coming Back at the Mildred
- Chef Driven Concepts on the Way