Posted by Aubrey Nagle on September 12th, 2012
The original Lee’s Hoagie House on Cheltenham Avenue has closed. When Lee’s started at 19th and Cheltenham in Mount Airy in 1953 they became part of the Philadelphia food tradition and the neighborhood. Since that first opening Lee’s has licensed 16 more shops across the Greater Philadelphia area.
The Insider reports that the original Lee’s changed ownership last year and ever since then the quality of the namesake brand had not been maintained at that location. The site was rebranded Lee’s at Cheltenham when the new licensee took over, but Lee’s partners have asked the shop to remove the “Lee’s” altogether. The shop then closed.
Luckily for Philadelphians those 16 other locations are still up and running and this change does not affect any other shops. After almost 60 years it is sad to see an original go, but it looks like the Lee’s brand is here to stay.
Lee’s Hoagie House [Official Site]
- Rocky Week
- Last Day for Q BBQ in Old City
- Win A Year’s Supply of Hoagies? Oh, Hell Yeah…
- Now Closed: Naked Chocolate Cafe
- News for People Who Like Bad News: Closing Edition
- Will Marathon Go the Distance?
- News for People Who Like Bad News
- Mad River in Old City Closes
- More News for People Who Like Bad News