Posted by Foobooz on October 16th, 2012
Stephen Starr is bringing Joe Carroll’s Fette Sau to Fishtown and the barbecue, beer and brown liquor joint will open Wednesday, October 17th.
The Space at Fette Sau
- Fette Sau is German for “fat pig”
- Indoor/Outdoor seating.
- Outdoor picnic tables are warmed by heat lamps.
- 130 seats at communal tables.
- Building has an industrial feel:
- Exposed beams
- Concrete floor
- Reclaimed wood
The Food at Fette Sau
- Rotating selection of six meats served daily, sourced from local farmers.
- Food is ordered by weight from a walk-up counter.
- Meats range from $18 to $24 per pound. Sausages are $4 per link.
- See the Fette Sau menu board
- Sides Include:
- Broccoli Salad
- House Made Coleslaw
- Burnt End Baked Beans
- Potato Chips
- Barbecue sauce is secondary to the meat.
- Carroll recommends trying the meat without the sauces first.
- Three varieties of sauce are available in squirt bottles, mix them together to your specification.
- In coming weeks look for bacon and other cured meats to be available to-go.
The Drinks at Fette Sau
- 9 beers, 1 cider on tap
- All drinks are ordered and served at a bar adjacent the meat ordering station
- Beers can be ordered by the glass, half-gallon or full gallon container.
- 3 custom beers from local brewers - Earth Bread + Brewery, Sly Fox and Dock Street.
- The rest of the list represents Philadelphia and New York.
- Extensive North American whiskey and bourbon list.
Photos of Fette Sau
1204 Frankford Ave, Philadelphia, PA
- Fette Sau Coming to Fishtown
- Tale of the Tape: Bubba’s Texas BBQ
- Around the Web: Early Report from Fette Sau
- Fette Sau in Fishtown Delivers on the Brooklyn Promise
- Fette Sau Is Philadelphia’s Best Barbecue
- Through the Knothole at Fette Sau
- Fette Sau Is Getting Close, So Close We Can Smell It
- Tale of the Tape: Frankford Hall
- Foobooz TV: Taking A Stroll Through Fette Sau