Posted by Foobooz on November 27th, 2012
Craig LaBan reviews Blue Belly BBQ on 6th Street on the border between Queen Village and Bella Vista and finds the sandwiches are the thing at Gene Giuffi’s small spot.
[T]he best reason to visit Blue Belly is ultimately its inventive sandwiches. That isn’t surprising, since it was initially conceived as a lunch option for the Bella Vista-Queen Village neighborhoods it serves.
And I find myself craving a number of Giuffi’s internationally inspired creations, at least with the appropriate sauce adjustments, as each one begged for just one more flavor flourish. A gingery Korean beef sandwich laced with spicy kimchi and crunchy fried shallots needed just a line of sweet barbecue sauce to be complete. The grilled jerk chicken breasts, aromatic with allspice, habanero powder, and the juicy pucker of pickled green tomatoes, demanded an extra spice-jolt of sambal-fired hot sauce. The slow-smoked cuminy lamb, so bold in its lambiness with radish and tortilla salad on top, needed vinegar sauce for moisture and tang.
Two Bells – Very Good
Blue Belly BBQ hours have recently been extended:
Sunday, Wed., Thurs: 12-8 p.m.
Friday, Saturday: 12-9 p.m.
Blue Belly BBQ
600 Catharine Street, Philadelphia, PA
- Bella Vista’s Blue Belly BBQ Impresses
- Blue Belly BBQ Opens
- Cochon’s Gene Giuffi Opening Blue Belly BBQ in Bella Vista
- Erace Reviews Blue Belly BBQ
- Smoked Belly Sandwich at Blue Belly BBQ
- Preview Blue Belly BBQ at Southwark
- Sip-N-Glo Juicery Opens on South Street
- Fishtown’s Pickled Heron Needs Some Fine-Tuning
- More Than Just Drinks at Lemon Hill