Posted by Foobooz on December 12th, 2012
Cristina Perachio is the latest to check out the Mildred on 8th Street in Bella Vista. He comes away impressed with the seasonal fall dishes.
The standout of the meal is the braised chicken and biscuits with herbs and vegetables. Healthy chunks of onion, squash, carrot and celery season the chicken, served hot in a skillet. Though this wasn’t the sort of dish I ate growing up, it nonetheless has that comfort-food feeling to it. The biscuits are light and fluffy; where a lesser preparation could have easily seen them get soggy with chicken juices, here they maintain their flakiness and texture. Likewise, the veggies—all too often lackluster in skillet-prepared dishes, or, alternately, swimming in sauce—are perfectly crisp and flavorful. The high-quality local ingredients are part of that excellence, but technique is the rest; the Mildred simply nails veggies.
Seasonal Satisfaction at the Mildred in Bella Vista [Philadelphia Weekly]
The Mildred [Official Site]
825 S. 8th Street, Philadelphia, PA
- Tale of the Tape: The Mildred
- The Mildred Filled with Potential
- Two Bells for The Mildred
- Enamel and Iron Star Alongside Michael Santoro’s Cooking at the Mildred
- About Last Night: The Mildred
- The Mildred Starts Weekend Brunch
- Mildred Now Offering Prix Fixe Sundays with This Oven Roasted Quail
- The Mildred Adds Happy Hour Starting Tonight
- Cheap Dates – Bella Vista