Posted by Foobooz on January 28th, 2013
Craig LaBan smashes The Saint James in Ardmore with a stinging no-bell review. Plates were dropped with regularity,the meat was over-cooked and salads were under seasoned. Is the problem, the location?
Finding skilled restaurant workers in the burbs is “painful,” says Schulson, whose Saint James kitchen had an 85 percent turnover in the first three months. But the problem is as much economic as geographic, he concedes, with line-cook wages only barely above what some say they’d receive in unemployment compensation. The culinary passion that drives many young chefs through that rite of passage is especially scarce outside the city. But given that Moon told me “only the sous-chef and a dishwasher” remained in his kitchen since my final visit, just a week before our conversation, I’d suggest that a pay increase is in order. Or perhaps these owners just aren’t cut out for multiple restaurants.
No Bells – Poor
St. James Place and Coulter Ave , Ardmore, PA
- Saint James Opens in Ardmore
- Ouch! No Stars for the Saint James
- Matt Moon Out At the St. James
- The Saint James Passes Health Inspection
- Moon Over Talula’s Garden
- The Saint James Starts Weekend Brunch Service
- UPDATE: Moon Out at Talula’s Garden
- Quick Bites: Chefs Moving, Chestnut Hill Brewing
- Third Annual Philadelphia Burger Brawl Set for Sunday, May 5th