Posted by Foobooz on February 19th, 2013
It is indeed a hit-or-miss affair at Red Owl Tavern on Independence Mall. Craig LaBan finds some good dishes but all too often sloppy cooking and service hinder his meals.
This kitchen’s determination to do much of the butchering in-house, however, has paid dividends with a few highlights. The charcuterie platter features a number of excellent nibbles, from hickory-smoked lomo to spot-on country pate. The house-made sausages of the day, which come over grilled toast smeared with white beans, were also worthwhile, from the smoky spice of the andouille to the winey savor of linguica. The seafood sausage had some texture issues, and the ground halibut and scallops were a little chalky without the use of cream, but the flavor was still excellent.
One Bell – Hit-or-Miss
Red Owl Tavern
433 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA
- Red Owl Tavern Stumbles Out of the Gate
- A Three Bell Toast for Vernick
- Craig LaBan Re-Reviews Fond
- Outdoor Dining and a Sausage Cart Coming to Red Owl Tavern
- The Menu: Red Owl Tavern
- Three Bells For Mica
- Nick Elmi Brings Life to Rittenhouse Tavern
- Craig LaBan Reviews Paramour in Wayne
- Craig LaBan Reviews Cresheim Cottage