2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | Upcoming | Sideline Chefs | Map
– Garces alums open a Mexican restaurant of their own.
– Mediterranean salads, pita sandwiches and of course falafel come to Chestnut Street.
– A Canadian franchise is looking to open 30 locations in Philadelphia, the first at the Residences at Ritz Carlton.
Le Pain Quotidien
– The international chain opens its first bakery and cafe in Philadelphia.
– Modo Mio owner is moving Paesanos 9th Street and opening a Sicilian restaurant.
– The former Upstares at Varalli becomes a gastropub serving local craft brew and a comfort food menu.
– The family of Ristorante Pesto has opened Pizzeria Pesto at 1925 S Broad.
5 N 2 Tokyo
– Asian-fusion BYO coming to the former Django space on 4th Street between Lombard and South.
– Argentine and Italian in the Italian Market.
– Coleman’s is getting replaced with a restaurant that will feature a three times bigger bar, fireplace and seating for 90.
– Vesuvio is replaced with a truly smaller bar.
– New Greek-Mediterranean concept for the 1300 block of Sansom.
– Paesano’s Italian Market location moves to the former Bebe’s in order to make room for Monsu.
– Philadelphia’s newest cupcake purveyor opens on 20th Street.
– Tim McGinnis will be cooking at this East Passyunk prepared foods store.
– Chef Keith Taylor is bringing gluten-free barbecue to Norristown.
– A local entrepreneur is chronicling the effort to open a kabob stand in Liberty Place.
– Former Crocodile becomes a sports bar with Eagles Todd Herremans and Brent Celek on board as investors.
– Fork and Barrel crew is opening a not-quite-a-brew-pub in Center City.
– the 19th and Poplar cafe opens early and stays open late serving coffee, alcohol and a menu of international tapas.
– The Swift Half won’t be dark for long as a new concept is on the horizon.
– IndeBlue takes over Blackbird Dining Establishment’s space on Collings Avenue.
– A new restaurant from the King of Tandoor team on the 1600 block of South Street.
– Jason Cichonski is opening Chip Roman’s restaurant in Chestnut Hill.
Sarcones West Chester
– South Philadelphia institution opens hoagie shop at 230 West Market Street in West Chester.
– Rice bowls and bubble tea at the former Taglio.
– Thai food at the top of the hill.
– Organic bake-at-home pizza from the founder of Peace-a-Pizza.
Big Eyes Sushi
– Ro-Zu has been reborn Big Eyes Sushi. The 7th and Bainbridge spot’s new life as a sushi spot is decidedly more affordable and less exotic.
– Newbold’s Thai takeout spot Circles opens a cafe across the street.
– Center City’s Erawan opens a branch in Chinatown.
– Sister restaurant to Pepperoncini in Conshohocken opens in Phoenixville.
– Pure Fare’s mission is to provide fresh, healthy, all natural foods along with an integrated suite of interactive web based tools.
– Flagship location of the Saxby’s chain opens its doors at 20th and Walnut.
– Second area location opens in the Radian building on Penn’s campus.
– The Starr alum is coming back to the fold with a new restaurant at the former Washington Square.
Arrow Swim Club
– Bart Blatstein opens an adult playground in Northern Liberties.
– The Japanese/Korean restaurant located in Norristown has reopened.
– South Street gets an organic burger joint.
– Arrow Swim Club also gets a 7-day a week restaurant.
– Organic restaurant at 2028 Fairmount Ave.
– Stephen Starr is talking about bringing a beer garden to Frankford Avenue in Fishtown.
Rotisseur – French-style rotisserie restaurant for Center City.
Wedge & Fig
– Former Flying Monkey owner Rebecca Torpie is getting back in the food biz.
– Bryan Sikora will be the chef at this all-day Rittenhouse Square bistro.
Gemelli on Main
– Chef and owner Clark Gilbert is moving his Gemelli restaurant to Main Street in Manayunk.
– Hot dog centric spot for the 600 block of South Street.
– Oddly named restaurant comes to Spring Garden Street. Outdoor patio is the draw.
– Fairmount Pizza shop opening restaurant in Old City.
– Philly Cupcake is taking over the Naked Chocolate location on Walnut.
Revolution House – Restaurant by Panorama’s Luca Sena will feature two bars and a sky deck.
– Jamaican food for the 500 block of South 4th.
– New York Northern Italian restaurant going in at 10 Rittenhouse.
– The bakeshop seerves up everything from cupcakes to wedding cakes.
Avalon Pasta Bistro
– The second restaurant from John Brandt-Lee who also owns Avalon Restaurant in West Chester has opened in Downingtown.
– Shanks Original has new operators.
– The former Apollinare on the Piazza at Schmidts is up and running.
– Former Susanna Foo, Dmitris employee opening a Thai restaurant.
– Scott Schroeder and Nick Macri are doing a gourmet hot dog cart.
– Bourbon and blues plus charcoal at Headhouse Square.
– Mediterranean cuisines and tapas in a festive and friendly atmosphere.
– Chestnut7 dials up upscale pub food for Chestnut Hill.
– Organic fried and rotisserie chicken for South Street.
– The suburban coffeehouse/music venue is comes to 11th and Chestnut.
– Montreal-style bagels in the early stages on south 20th Street.
– Vetri alum Joey Baldino opening a Collingswood BYOB.
– Comfort with a conscience for Fayette Street.
Blue Bear Tavern
– The old Doc Watsonâ€™s will be a ferocious blue bear by the end of the year.
– COOK is a state-of-the-art, fully-equipped, sixteen-seat kitchen-classroom. Look for classes from some of Philadelphia’s best chefs and other exciting happenings.
– New York based falafel comes to 18th Street.
– Asian inspired wraps from this food truck.
– New Thai restaurant for Center City from the owner of Trio in Fairmount.
– The former Leila Cafe becomes and Egyptian eatery.
– Old man bar in Fishtown reborn with a Mexican and Pez theme.
– A gourmet Trinidadian food truck. Say yes to the roti.
– Mark Bebe is taking his BBQ show on the road with the Smoke Truck.
– Keith Taylor adds barbecue to the menu at Owls Nest.
– New upscale Indian restaurant from Munish Narula.
– R5 Productions and Avram Hornik are opening a concert venue in the old Spaghetti Warehouse.
– The Brooklyn arcade and bar is opening a branch in Fishtown.
– New stand serving crepes in the Bellevue food court.
– Michael Solomonov brings fried chicken and donuts to 2nd and Federal.
– New bar with solid food in East Falls.
– Self-serve frozen yogurt truck hitting the streets of University City.
– Stephen Starr culinary director Chris Painer is opening an Italian restaurant in the former Deux Cheminees.
– A grilled cheese restaurant for North Wales.
– The beer garden in the Terminal is going to become a gastropub.
– Restaurantcombines a bistro lounge and fine American dining.
– Mobile pizza oven bringing Neapolitan-inspired pizzas to the streets of Philadelphia.
– Grilled cheese serving food truck that caters to Temple University.
– Top Chef winner Kevin Sbraga taking over Chew Man Chu space.
– Whiskey and go-go returns to 11th and Callowhill.
– Frozen yogurt and sushi on the concourse in Suburban Station.
– Fond pastry chef Jessie Prawlucki is opening a bake shop just down Passyunk from the BYOB.
– Gordon Dinerman, most recently of City Tap House has a beer and cocktail centric restaurant coming to Passyunk Avenue.
– International food truck for University City.
– Jason Cichonski is opening at the former Ansill at 3rd and Bainbridge.
– Kristian Leuzzi serving casual Italian at Kris.
Port Richmond Ale House
– Bartender John Boswell is converting the old man bar into something new, but not quite gastro.
– The spot focuses on charcuterie, imported cheese and antipasti plates.
– Stephen Starr is opening a New England-style seafood restaurant on north Broad.
– Stateside, which is being brought to us by the owner of Green Eggs Café, will soon be serving up American wines and whiskeys across from the Singing Fountain.
– Former Adsum becomes Tapestry, a gastropub.
– Joe Scarpone is opening a restaurant in Queen Village.
– Richard Landeau and Kate Jacoby have chosen the former Deux Cheminees for their new vegan restaurant.
– Replacing Dolce, Baratta offers brick-oven pizzas and an Abruzze menu.
Broad Street Diner
– Broad Street Diner is set to be reborn under the guidance of diner mogul, Michael Petrogiannis.
Ella’s American Bistro
– Upscale casual restaurant with the focus on a local farm- to-table dining comes to Wayne.
– Quick serve soul food at the top of the hill.
– Matt Zagorski is taking over the LOca space on Fairmount Avenue.
Honest Toms Taco Shop
– Honest Tom’s is putting down roots. The popular taco truck will have its own storefront and expanded offerings.
– Franklin Mortgage team opening a bar in the former Aspen/Lucky 7 space in Fairmount.
Walnut Street Supper Club
– The former Italian restaurant will reopen as an old school Italian supper club complete with a stage and singing staff.