Posted by Foobooz on March 17th, 2010
Happy St. Patrick’s Day from Foobooz.
What was once a quaint day to wear green and eat Irish potatoes has turned into a complete boozefest but here are some picks of places where you can be proud to be Irish while minimizing the chance of puke on winding up on your shoes.
- Nothing wrong with a proper Guinness on St. Patrick’s Day. Visit the Bards where pouring a proper pint is a 365-day obsession.
- The Swift Half is offering $3 Swift Half Pints and $3 Irish Snacks including: Stuffed Cabbage; Traditional Boxty with applesauce; Ham and Cheese Pierogies with Guinness brown butter; Mini Fish and Chips; and Bangers in a Blanket.
- Looking for a fun Irish band to stomp along to, the Ruffians are playing at the North Star Bar. The North Star will also be offering $4 Imperial pints of Guinness all day.
- Join beermaster extraordinare Scott Morrison at World Cafe Live where he’s hosting a 5-course beer dinner with five American craft interpretations of Irish beers followed by a nightcap of Bushmills 16 year old Irish Whiskey. Dinner is $45 per person.
- Got a meeting to cater today? 1st & Fresh Catering is offering 17% off till 2pm.
- The Beer Lass has a rundown on where you can find some Sly Fox O’Reilly Stout pouring.
- But if you insist on St. Patrick’s excess then head toÂ McGillin’s where the doors opened at 9am today. They’re serving up some different Irish beers incluing O’Hara’s Stout and O’Hara’s Irish Red. Â And of course they also offer green beer. $2 cover all day.
Related: Events, Irish, McGillins, North-Star-Bar, Swift Half
2 Comments | Related Posts »
Posted by Foobooz on February 27th, 2009
Ah yes, we remember it well. The old Levis Hot Dogs on 6th Street between Lombard and South, opposite Starr Garden, always a favorite spot after little league baseball.
Of course if this old photo prompts you to reminisce, we suggest grabbing a hot dog and Champ Cherry Soda from Moe’s Hot Dog House at Grays Ferry and Washington and then driving over to the North Star Bar where you can lunch as you gaze up at the original Levis neon sign.
507-519 South 6th Street [PhillyHistory.org]
Related: Food Nerd News, Hot-Dogs, Moe's Dog House, North-Star-Bar, Retro-raunt
7 Comments | Related Posts »
Posted by Foobooz on April 3rd, 2008
Progress continues to be made at Earth Bread + Brewery where they’ve recently posted a photo album that chronicles the construction.
Frank Imbarlina was supposed to be the chef at Time but he’s out before they opened. Stepping in will be Keith Murphy who is currently the chef at Jason and Delphine Evenchikâ€™s Vintage. [The Clog]
In other chef movement, pastry chef Peter Scarola is set to leave the Inn at St. Peters Village and is headed to Rae.
Orange Alert, Pat Bombino’s has a liquor license application in the window.
In other window based news, a paper sign in the window on 20th Street across from Twenty Manning notes that a Japanese restaurant, Yoshi is coming soon.
Phoodie.info has a photo of the refurbed upstairs dining room at the North Star Bar. Well we think they do. It might be a photo of someone’s living room. [Phoodie.info]
Related: Opening Soon, Earth-Bread-+-Brewery, North-Star-Bar, orange-alert, Pat-Bombinos, Rae, Time, Yoshi
1 Comment | Related Posts »