Posted by Foobooz on May 26th, 2011
As Michael Klein reported last night Royal Sushi and Izakaya finally has a location. The anticipated Japanese bar from the RoyalKhyberCantinasandnowIzakaya team will be opening in September at 782 S 2nd Street. Philadelphia food nerds have been coveting a true izakaya for years now and as the Khyber Pass Pub’s pop-up proved, there is demand.
Chef Todd Dae Kulper who quickly gathered praise at the short-lived Ro-Zu will be in the kitchen of RS&K.
The building at 2nd and Fulton has been owned by Stephen Simons and company for several years and when the neighborhood steakhouse concept, the Grill Room couldn’t make a go of it they decided to locate the business there. The building is a bit bigger than the Khyber and will afford them the opportunity to do both pub food and sushi.
As for whether there will be another pop-up prior to Royal Sushi and Izakaya opening it isn’t so clear. Simons says they have one planned but with a tight September deadline things could change.
Royal Sushi and Izakaya
782 S 2nd St, Philadelphia, PA
- Royal Sushi & Izayaka Will be at Brewer’s Plate
- Signs of Life for Royal Sushi & Izakaya
- No Triangle News, But How About a Royal Izakaya Update
- Ramen In the News
- Tonight, Tweeting About the Khyber’s Izakaya Night
- Quick Bites: New Cafes, Sandwich Praise and Sushi
- Full Menu for Khyber’s Izakaya Pop-Up
- Rammy for Ramen
- Can A Restaurant Jump The Shark?